Peppermint, Cacao, Matcha Hot Chocolate
A delicious and healthy holiday treat, well it can be, and it can also be a bit less healthy if you want it to be.
Did you know:
Cocoa powder and cacao powder are very similar, the only difference being that cocoa is processed at a much higher temperature (and often packaged cocoa contains added sugar and dairy). ... So, cacao powder is made from fermented beans that have not been roasted.
- Lower Blood Pressure. Cacao powder is packed with flavonoids.
- Reduced Diabetes Risk. The flavonoids in cacao powder may help increase insulin sensitivity, reducing your risk of diabetes.
- Reduced Heart Disease Risk. Cacao powder contains lots of potassium.
- Reduced Inflammation.
1 cup plant based milk (I like a almond/coconut blend)
1.5 heaping tablespoons cacao powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup (more if you wish)
1-2 drops peppermint essential oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 pinch sea salt toasted marshmallows (for topping, optional) candy canes (for topping, optional)
1. Heat the milk until warmed, in a small saucepan over medium heat, or in an electric milk frother.
2. Whisk together with the cacao powder, maple syrup, 1 drop of the peppermint essential oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Taste and add in more peppermint essential oil or maple syrup as desired.
3. Serve warm, with or without a handful of toasted marshmallows and a candy cane topper. Yummmm!